Mine

Mine

Friday, October 21, 2016

Marriage

 What is marriage?
Image result for marriage
Noun: "marriage is legally or formally recognized union of a man and a woman as partners in a relationship" the web definition. According to psychologists today "marriage is the process by which two people make their relationship public, official, and permanent. It is the joining of two people in a bound that punitively lasts until death, but some marriages are cut short by divorce."
Here is my view on what marriage is being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints marriage is celestial. "Celestial or eternal marriage is an ordinance performed by priesthood authority in a temple of the church." With that being said, I believe and know that my marriage will continue forever beyond this life even after death. This eternal marriage is when a faithful man and woman become sealed to each other for time and all eternity.

So I believe that "marriage between a man and woman is ordained of God."
Why is marriage so significant?
From the scriptures we learn that "...what therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." I will list out four things that shows the significant behind marriage. Here they are;

  1. It is the beginning of the family and it is a life-long commitment. It provides one with the opportunity to grow in selflessness as you strive to serve the one you so dearly and truly call your wife and later in the future the children you’d raise together. I am sure that most of us think that marriage is just a physical union that is created between and man and a woman. It is not. Marriage is all, the physical union, the spiritual union and the emotion union. These are the same unions that mirrors what is between God and His Church that is here.
  2. It is oneness. Marriage is a bond like no other, it is what gives us a life partner, a teammate, as we go through challenges together. 
  3.  Marriage is and has been designed for purity. We live in world where we are bombarded by temptation every minute that comes from many directions. However, with that been said “marriage gives us the support to defeat that temptation by you becoming engaged in deep, satisfying love—a love that gives to, and receive from, our mate physically, emotionally, and spiritually. 
  4. Marriage is also about parenting. As God did say to Adam while in the garden to multiple and replenish the earth. Well through adoption or bearing of a child families are created. This is one of life’s greatest blessings. 
Here is a personal thing about me. My family doesn't have the best record when it comes to marriage. I never really met my biological father because he died in the war in Freetown, Sierra Leone. My mother then ran into my step-father who ended up raising me throughout my childhood, youth and some of adulthood. While I was on my mission in New York for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints my mother moved out of the house. This affected my mission for a long time. When I asked my mother she said "I am just tired of him, I just can't deal with it anymore." With that being said you might think this must make me a cynic when it comes to marriage, however for some unexplained reason, that is not the case. I believe that someone can fall in love with their best friend, grow old together, and even live happily ever after. I am now marriage to a wonderful woman and we strive everyday to make our marriage stay strong.
Here are just few ideas of how you can improve your married life or strengthen your relationship with your spouse. The ABC's of successful marriage;
  • A-Absolutely adore each other, and accept yourself
  • B- Be best friends, be fun, and be faithful
  • C-Compromise, celebrate and committed
  • D-Discover new things together 
  • E-Encourage each other
  • F-Forgive and forget 
  • G- Gaze into each others eyes
  • H- Hold hands and hugs a lot
  • I-inspire and intrigue each other
  • J-Joke and laugh and have fun
  • K-Keep each other's secrets
  • L-Love with your whole heart
  • M-Marvel at each other's talents
  • N-Nurture each other's soul
  • O-Overcome problem together 
  • P-Play games
  • Q-Quiet each other's fears
  • R-Remember the little things
  • S-Say "I love you" everyday
  • T-Take time for tenderness
  • U-Understand and care deeply for each other
  • V-Value everything you share
  • W-Wish each other even for little things
  • X-Press your true feelings 
  • Y-Yearn for each others touch
  • Z-zzzz in each other's arm (this is my favorite one) 
I am not a perfect man, however, I know that as we do our best to do these things that sound so simple our relationship with the one we say "I love you to" will grow increasingly.

I cannot say that I am a pro when it comes to marriage. I have only been married for almost seven months. So believe me when I say I am not a pro at all. You might know more that me and I really would like to hear your thoughts regarding this topic.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts,I especially loved the ABCs. I feel like every married couple, whether recently or long time married should always evaluate the importance of marriage.

    ReplyDelete